The District Yacht Club (DYC) is a membership boat club with amenities that include a clubhouse, marine railway and shop facility. The club’s origin is steeped in Washington history. In the years before 1950, the area the District Yacht Club occupies was a non-descript boat yard called the District Boat Company; prior to that, one of the club's building had its origin as an army housing unit. Around 1950, Ed Darnell with some great effort and drive managed to mold a group of boaters into what became the District Yacht Club. Around 1952 the boat yard closed and District Yacht Club took over the operation of this property. In 1955, the club established its charter and was incorporated the same year. In July, 1962 the property was turned over by the District of Columbia government to the National Parks Service, National Capital Parks.
A non-profit historical membership boat club of ordinary people who love boating. Members provide the labor & expenses for the club’s upkeep and maintenance to save on costs and enable relatively low fees compared to commercial marinas.
Our club is easy to find. We are located on the west side of the Anacostia River in Washington, D.C. (See map location.)
From M Street, SE, turn Right onto 11th Street SE towards the River. At the end (O Street), turn Left and go under overpass onto Wa