The American Institute of Pharmacy Building, also known as the Americal Pharmaceutical Association Building and the American Pharmacists Association Building is a late Beaux Arts style building in Washington, D.C., the headquarters of the American Pharmacists Association. The building, prominently located on Constitution Avenue, is on the only privately held lot in the area, surrounded by protected Federal lands. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.HistoryThe American Institute of Pharmacy Building was designed by architect John Russell Pope and completed in 1933. It is a one-story building with a full basement partially above grade. Structure is steel and brick with reinforced concrete floor and roof. The building is faced with Vermont marble and faces a wide terrace that overlooks the stepped slope leading down to the Lincoln Memorial. The building is arranged with a strongly centralized mass with subordinate wings to either side. A single monumental door flanked by pilasters and large bronze lamps is the sole punctuation of the facade. Allegorical relief sculpture by Ulysses Ricci embellishes the entrance surround. The building was conceived by Pope to be complementary to the Lincoln Memorial.Because of the prominence of the site and its relationship to the Lincoln Memorial the American Institute of Pharmacy was required to make extensive land acquisitions and exchanges with the government to create suitable buffers and to allow for the widening of 23rd Street as it approaches the Memorial. White marble was specifically stipulated as the exterior cladding material.