The Metropolitan Club is a private club located at a historic structure located at 1700 H St., Northwest, Washington, D.C. in the Downtown neighborhood.The Metropolitan has reciprocal arrangements with clubs around the world such as the Jockey Club of Paris, the Brooks's Club and Boodle's Club in London, the Circolo della Caccia in Rome, the Círculo de Armas in Buenos Aires, the Cercle Royal du Parc in Brussels, and the Nuevo Club in Madrid.HistoryThe club was established in 1863. It eventually moved into its own building located at 1700 H Street NW in 1883. That building, designed by the architects Gray and Page was destroyed in a fire in 1904.The architectural firm of Heins & LaFarge was responsible for the design of the current building. Construction of it was started in 1906 and completed in 1908. It has been listed on the District of Columbia Inventory of Historic Sites since 1964 and it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1995."The Metropolitan Club is one of Washington's oldest and most valued private institutions. Since its founding in 1863, at the height of the Civil War, by six Treasury Department officials, it has pursued its primary goal of furthering "literary, mutual improvement, and social purposes." Today, nearly 150 years after its founding, the Club continues to attract distinguished members from around the world.The Metropolitan Club's proximity to the White House and other icons of the nation's capital has made it a destination for many local, national and international leaders, including nearly every U.S. President since Abraham Lincoln. Its location and dedication to a tradition of social civility provide members with a haven from the bustle of Washington's professional life, while offering amenities associated with contemporary urban living."