Lincoln Temple United Church of Christ is a congregation of the United Church of Christ located in the Shaw neighborhood in the Northwest Quadrant of Washington, D.C. Its church building is a historic structure that was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1995.HistoryThe congregation can trace its roots back to the Lincoln Industrial Mission, which was founded as an educational and social aid mission. It was built on this site in 1868-1869. Ten members of First Congregational Church established Lincoln Memorial Congregational Church in 1880 at the mission. The congregation merged with Park Temple Congregational Church in 1901 and it was given its present name.The American Negro Academy, the first major African American learned society in the United States, was formed by the Rev. Alexander Crummell and other intellectuals in 1897. It held its inaugural address in the church. Notable musicians such as Jessye Norman, Marian Anderson and Roberta Flack have sung at the church. Preachers and scholars such as Julian Bond and Jeremiah A. Wright, Jr. have spoken from its pulpit.ArchitectureThe present church building was designed by Howard Wright Cutler in the Italian Romanesque Revival style. It was completed in 1928. The building features a basilican plan with arched windows. The exterior has variegated brick and a gabled roof. The west façade of the church is dominated by a rose window and an arcaded portico. The portico features stone columns with foliate Byzantine capitals, corbelled frieze and a tile roof.